Christmas Sweet Treat - Gather and Feast's Chocolate and Beetroot Cake
It's five days out from the big feast and we're looking for sweet treat inspo. This chocolate and beetroot layer cake from Gather and Feast does the job! You had us at cacao fudge frosting...
- 300g good quality dark chocolate (use a ‘raw chocolate’ for a refined sugar free cake)
- 80g coconut oil
- 3 eggs or 3 'chia seed eggs' for a completely vegan cake (blend 3 tbs chia seeds with 6 tbs water (or 9 tbs of water if it seems a little dry) and leave to sit for a couple of minutes)
- 280g coconut sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla bean powder (or extract)
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- 1½ cups almond meal
- ½ tsp bi carb soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 400g raw beetroot, peeled, finely grated & squeezed of excess liquid
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 2 large or 3 medium ‘just ripe’ avocados (about 2 cups). ‘Reed’ are the best type of avocado for this as they are the creamiest. If you can’t get hold of ‘reeds’, use avocados that are a little under ripe rather than over ripe.
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbs rice malt syrup
- 3 tbs cacao powder
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 200g dark chocolate, melted and slightly cooled (I used a mix of ‘raw cacao’ and ‘80%’ Pana Chocolate)
View the original recipe and method here
Follow Gather and Feast here
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Icons of Style
Nothing breathes life into your home more than the pieces of furniture that bring loved ones together over a meal, so we've chased up the Curious Grace design experts and asked them their best advise on how to choose the perfect dining table and chairs for you.
Armchair, occasional chair, accent chair, sofa, couch or lounge: All of these are used to describe a place to perch, but what exactly is the difference? Here, we reveal the nuances and why you need to know. Read More
For the first time in the business's history, Curious Grace has been announced as one of the top three finalists in the Australian Retailers Association’s 2018 Eftpos Australian Retail Awards. Read More